Posted on January 22, 2007
The 2007 installment of the Double Reed Festival I have been hosting for the last few years took place at the Puerto Rico Conservatory of Music January 19th-21st, 2007. The invited guests were oboist and english hornist, Pedro R. Díaz and bassoonist Whitney Crockett, both of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra. Events included master classes, reed making classes and a concert. The event was a great success and it was a privilege for me to work and perform with such excellent musicians.
Friday, January 19th
- 10:00am-12:00pm: Oboe and English Horn Reed Class with Pedro Díaz
- 10:00am-12:00pm: Bassoon Reed Class with Whitney Crockett
- 12:00pm-1:00pm: Lunch Break – Pizza Provided
- 1:00pm-3:30pm: Bassoon master class with Whitney Crockett
- 3:30pm-6:00pm: Oboe and English Horn master class with Pedro Díaz
Saturday, January 20th
- 10:30am-1:00pm: Rehearsals
Sunday, January 21st
- 4:00pm: Concert with Pedro Díaz, Whitney Crockett, Saxton Rose, Frances Colón, Nermis Mieses, Brian Cole (director), Diana Figueroa (piano), Luis Hernandez (harpsichord) and a Double Reed Ensemble
- Sonata in d minor for 2 oboes, bassoon and continuo by Johann Friedrich Fasch (1688 – 1758)
Pedro R. Díaz and Frances Colón Jiménez, oboes; Whitney Crockett, bassoon; Luis Hernandez, harpsichord; Saxton Rose, basso continuo
- Terzetto for oboe, bassoon and piano by Theodore Lalliet (1837 – 1892)
Pedro R. Díaz, oboe; Saxton Rose, bassoon; Diana Figueroa, piano
- Last Tango in Bayreuth for bassoon quartet by Peter Schickele (1935 – )
Whitney Crockett, Saxton Rose, Ion Serbenescu and Pedro Vazquez, bassoons
- Variations for 2 oboes & English horn in C major on Mozart’s ‘La Ci Darem La Mano’ by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 – 1827)
Frances Colón Jiménez and Nermis Mieses, oboes; Pedro R. Díaz, english horn
- Sabre Dance by Aram Khatchaturian (1903 – 1968), arr. Marc Vallon
- Danse of the Swans by Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 – 1893)
- Que Rico el Mambo by Dámaso Pérez Prado (1916 – 1989), arr. David Bourns
Double Reed Ensemble, Brian Cole, director
Pedro R. Díaz
Pedro Díaz grew up in Madrid Spain and San Juan Puerto Rico. He attended the “Escuela Libre de Musica” in Hato Rey, Puerto Rico, a public school for the performing arts. He studied with James Gorton of the Pittsburgh Symphony, and John Mack of the Cleveland Orchestra. He is a graduate of the Juilliard School where he studied with Elaine Douvas. Mr. Díaz studied English horn with Louis Rosenblatt, Harold Smoliar and Felix Kraus. Pedro Díaz teaches and performs at the Aspen Music Festival, Le Domaine Forget in Quebec and at the FOSJA festival in San Juan, Puerto Rico. He is on the faculty at the Juilliard School, where he teaches oboe.
Pedro Díaz was appointed Solo English horn of the Metropolitan Opera in 2005. prior to that he was principal oboe of the Filarmonica Jalisco in Guadalajara Mexico. Mr. Díaz also played English horn in the Orchestra of Galicia Spain, the Pittsburgh Opera and the Natal Philharmonic in South Africa.
Whitney Crockett, Principal Bassoon of the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra since 1998, began his bassoon studies in his native Miami with Michael Finn and Luciano Magnanini. He is a graduate of the Juilliard School, where he studied with Stephen Maxym. Prior to joining the MET Orchestra, he was Principal Bassoon of the Montréal Symphony Orchestra for six seasons, during which time he was on the faculty of McGill University. He has also served as Principal Bassoon of the Florida Orchestra, the South Florida Symphony, and the Orquesta Sinfónica Nacional of the Dominican Republic.
As a chamber musician, Mr. Crockett has recorded, performed and toured extensively with the New York Kammermusiker, a critically acclaimed double-reed ensemble. He can also be heard performing with his MET colleagues in their Carnegie hall series.
His summer activities have included appearances at the Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival, Super World Orchestra of the Tokyo Music Festival, and the San Diego Mozart Festival. He has appeared as Soloist with the Montréal Symphony, the Florida Orchestra, and the Violons du Roy. Mr. Crockett additionally serves on the faculties of the Juilliard and Manhattan Schools of Music and the Domaine Forget Academy of Music and Dance in St. Irénée, Quebec.
- Dark In The Song (9)
- News (91)
- Past Performances (142)
- Photography (1)
- Technology (6)
- Travel (36)
- UNCSA (38)
- Zephyros Winds (5)
Get the Feed
Latest Notebook Entries
- Beethoven 4th Symphony Concert Reviews
- Recital and Master Classes in Mexico City, December 2-5
- Performance of the Weber Bassoon Concerto with Fayetteville Symphony
- 2013-2014 Performance and Events Schedule
- Rite of Spring with Orchestra of St. Luke’s
- Concert with Zephyros Winds at Saint Francis College in Brooklyn, NY
- Performance as concerto soloist of Dana Wilson’s Avatar Concerto
- First Performances with Zéphyros Wind Quintet
- Performances with Ventus Wind Quintet