Posted on August 14, 2012
The following is Saxton Rose’s performance and event schedule for the 2012/2013 season. It is subject to change so if you have questions about attending an event, please contact me. Map to University of North Carolina School of the Arts.
Performance of Martinu’s Revue de Cuisine with the Carolina Chamber Symphony. Tickets/Info
Recital to benefit the restoration and installation of a rare 1898 Hook & Hastings pipe organ at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem, NC. Program includes J. S. Bach’s Partita in a minor for solo bassoon, and the Triébert/Jancourt Fantasia Concertante on the theme of Rossini op. 15 for bassoon, oboe, and piano.
Article on the organ project.
Premiering Michael Gordon’s Rushes, an hour-long piece for seven amplified bassoons. This premiere performance is the culmination of a week-long recording residency at EMPAC for release on NYC’s Cantaloupe Records. More info
8pm, EMPAC: Experimental Music and Performing Arts Center, 110 8th Street, Troy, New York
September 21, 22, 23:
Performances with the Winston-Salem Symphony and violinist Jennifer Koh. Sibelius Violin Concerto, Copland Sym. No. 3 and Beethoven Leonore Overture. Tickets/Info
October 13, 14, 16:
Performance with the W-S Symphony of Tchaikovsky’s Sym No. 5, Mendelssohn’s Piano Concerto No. 1 with pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi and Zhou Tian’s A Thousand Years of Good Prayers. Tickets/Info
UNCSA’s contemporary music ensemble nu makes its return under the direction of Saxton Rose with a diverse program of music of today by composers such as Randall Woolf, Wolfgang Rihm, Giacinto Scelsi, Benjamin Broening, and Caleb Burhans. 7:30pm at Watson Recital Hall, UNCSA.
November 8-16: Fall 2012 European Tour of Michael Gordon’s Rushes, an hour-long piece for seven amplified bassoons.
- November 8th at the November Music Festival in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, the Netherlands
- November 10th at the GLOW Festival in Eindhoven, the Netherlands
- November 11th at the Concertgebouw Brugge in Brugge, Belgium
- November 15th at the Ostadetheater in Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- November 16th at the Korzo Theater in Den Haag, the Netherlands
Performances and master classes in Chengdu, China at the Sichuan Conservatory
December 18, 19:
Performances of Handel’s Messiah with the W-S Symphony
January 12, 13, 15, 2013:
Performances as soloist with the W-S Symphony of Mozart’s Bassoon Concerto, K.191.Tickets/Info
January 19, 2013:
Performance of Mozart’s Quintet for Piano and Winds with UNCSA faculty. 7:30pm Watson Recital Hall, UNCSA.
January 25, 26, 27, 2013: Performances with Ventus, the resident wind quintet at UNCSA
Enter the sophisticated world of French music for winds with a concert of light-hearted, humor-filled, full throttle virtuoso antics for flute, clarinet, oboe, horn, and bassoon. Music of Ibert, Debussy, Poulenc, Milhaud, and Dukas with Tadeu Coelho, flute; David Jolley, French horn; Robin Driscoll, oboe; Oskar Espina-Ruiz, clarinet; Saxton Rose, bassoon.
- January 25, 7:30pm Tryon Palace Performing Arts Series, at Cullman Hall, Tryon Palace; New Bern, NC Tickets/Info
- January 26, 8pm The American Music Festival Concert Series in Beaufort, NC. Tickets/Info
- January 27, 7:30pm Beckwith Recital Hall, Wilmington, NC. Tickets/Info
Performance as director of UNCSA’s contemporary music ensemble nu. Student composers concert.
February 1-3: Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet Residency at UNCSA
The Berlin Phil Quintet will give master classes, topical clinics during the residency as well as a recital in Watson Hall on the UNCSA campus February 2 at 7:30pm.
Friday, Feb 1
- 3pm-4:45pm: Chamber music master class by Berlin Phil Quintet for UNCSA student groups
- 5pm-7pm: Individual studio master classes by Berlin Phil Quintet members for UNCSA students
Saturday, Feb 2
UNCSA faculty and Berlin Phil Quintet members invite clarinet, bassoon, oboe, flute, and saxophone students of all ages to the UNCSA campus for a full day of classes, workshops, and performances.
- 10am-10:30am: Short opening Concert w/ Berlin Phil Quintet and UNCSA wind faculty of Gounod’s Petite Symphonie
- 11am-12:30pm: Clinic with Berlin Phil Quintet and Middle School/High School students
- 12:30pm: Lunch all together, students, UNCSA faculty, Berlin Phil Quintet
- 1:30pm: Workshops with UNCSA faculty
- 7:30pm: Berlin Phil Quintet evening concert
Sunday, Feb 3
- Master classes with Berlin Quintet members
Featured Guest Artist at the University of Nebraska Double Reed Day with host, Jeffrey McCray. Friday, February 8 Recital, Saturday February 9 master classes.
Master classes at UNLV in Las Vegas, NV with Zéphyros Winds
Performance with Zéphyros Winds in Las Vegas, NV as part of the UNLV Chamber Music Series at the The Doc Rando Recital, Lee & Thomas Beam Music Center. Tickets/Info
Ravel: Tombeau de Couperin
Pierne: Suite Pittoresque
Performance with Zéphyros Winds at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, NY
Ravel: Tombeau de Couperin
Pierne: Suite Pittoresque
Join woodwind faculty virtuosos Tadeu Coelho, Robin Driscoll, Oskar Espina-Ruiz, Saxton Rose, and Taimur Sullivan for an evening of music from the Baroque, one of the richest and most diverse periods in music history. Watson Recital Hall, 7:30pm
Performance with Wet Ink Ensemble of music of Dan Ruccia. Durham, NC.
Performance as concerto soloist of Dana Wilson’s Avatar (2005) Concerto for Bassoon and Chamber Winds, with the UNCSA wind ensemble. 7:30pm, Crawford Hall
Performance with Sir James Galway and the W-S Symhpony, 7:30pm, R.J. Reynolds Memorial Auditorium. Tickets/Info
Concert with Zéphyros Winds at Saint Francis College in Brooklyn, NY
Performance with Dark in the Song of music for bassoon ensemble. 7:30 pm, Motorco Music Hall. Tickets/Info
Recital in Puebla, Mexico as part of the Capilla del Arte Series. Master classes at Universidad de las Américas
May 12, 14:
Performance with the Winston-Salem Symphony of Hovhaness’ Symphony No. 2, Mason Bates’ Liquid Interface and the Mussorgsky/Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition. Tickets/Info
Performance as concerto soloist at the IDRS conference in Redlands, CA. Philippe Hersant’s Eight Pieces for Bassoon and Ensemble.
- Dark In The Song (8)
- News (81)
- Past Performances (134)
- Photography (1)
- Technology (6)
- Travel (32)
- UNCSA (34)
- Zephyros Winds (3)
Get the Feed
Latest Notebook Entries
- First Performances with Zéphyros Wind Quintet
- Performances of Mozart’s Bassoon Concerto with Winston-Salem Symphony
- Mejunje del Fagobongo Recording Released
- European Tour of Michael Gordon’s Rushes
- UNCSA Contemporary Music Ensemble
- World Premiere of Michael Gordon’s Rushes
- Tchaikovsky 5 with Winston-Salem Symphony
- Copland Sym. No. 3 with Winston-Salem Symphony
- Organ Benefit Concert 2012