Scholarship for 2019-2020
In addition to the other grants, scholarships, and federal loans available to students at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts, a Graduate Assistantship, Tuition Reductions, and Fellowships are being offered in the bassoon studio for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Why is UNCSA different?
The UNCSA School of Music is a unique state-of-the-art conservatory offering intensive training and career development in music performance and composition since 1965.
- With selective admissions, a robust scholarship program, and 7-to-1 student-to-teacher ratio, we function like a private conservatory, yet are affiliated with the highly respected University of North Carolina system.
- We offer a world-class artist faculty and an ample array of distinguished visiting artists to inspire and guide our students.
- Magnificent facilities, including Watson Chamber Music Hall with state-of-the-art acoustics, are learning laboratories for students.
- We offer superb training and a well-rounded education in Post-Master’s Studies, Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies and High School Studies programs.
- Our campus is vibrant with other arts: dance, design and production, drama, filmmaking, and visual arts.
Watson Recital Hall
One of four UNCSA School of Music performance venues, the Judy and Bill Watson Chamber Music Hall was designed by renowned acoustician Rein Pirn and architects Calloway Johnson Moore West. The 292-seat hall was designed specifically for chamber music.
The shape of the Hall echoes the curves of a violin and was designed with acoustic curtains that can be manipulated to change its acoustic properties. A special "high volume, low velocity" HVAC system was designed to minimize ambient noise.
This complex serves as both performance and teaching venue, and includes two new large rehearsal rooms, a lobby, box office, green room, dressing rooms, administrative offices and faculty teaching studios.
Recent guest artists of the UNCSA bassoon studio
- Sofia Dartiguelongue
- Fabio Cury
- Martin Kuuskmann
- The Berlin Philharmonic Wind Quintet
- Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center
- Eighth Blackbird
- The New York Woodwind Quintet
- William Ludwig
- Kristin Wolfe Jensen
- John Miller
- Peter Kolkay
- Leonardo Dean
- Keith Sweger
- Jefferson Campbell
- Charles McCracken
- Lecolion Washington
- Lynn Hileman
- Christin Schillinger
- Rachael Elliott