2016 NewBassoon Workshop at Eastman, July 6-9
Dark in the Song announces the first NewBassoon Workshop, a four-day event July 6-9, 2016 at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY.
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Four leading American bassoon artists and teachers, Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Peter Kolkay and Saxton Rose, all members of the pioneering bassoon collective Dark in the Song, present a four-day workshop on contemporary bassoon literature, performance techniques, and pedagogy. This session is designed for college students and above. Participants will work closely with the faculty in a variety of settings, including lessons, master classes, and ensembles. The event also includes faculty and student performances, exhibits, a performance competition, and a composition prize. Registration and more information will be available at the Summer at Eastman website after December 1, 2015.
The entire workshop takes place at the Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY
ACTIVITIES AND EVENTS
- Performance master classes and private lessons by Michael Harley, Lynn Hileman, Peter Kolkay, and Saxton Rose
- Special guest John Hunt, Professor of Bassoon, Eastman School of Music
- Discussion / demonstration on new trends in chamber music
- Workshop on multiphonics led by guest Jamie Leigh Sampson, author of Contemporary Techniques for the Bassoon: Multiphonics
- Workshops on contemporary bassoon literature and techniques, including circular breathing
- Panel discussion on grant writing, commissioning, and entrepreneurial activities for performers
- Performance and presentation on performing the Berio Sequenza
- Performance / demonstration on performing with various electronic systems including live looping
- Performance of Michael Gordon’s Rushes, an hour-long work for seven bassoons
- Faculty recital of solo and chamber works for bassoon by Dark in the Song including the premiere of the 2016 Composition Prize winning piece
- The Dark in the Song Performance Competition Final Round
- Wednesday, July 6 at 12pm: Welcome and Introductions, Hatch Recital Hall
- Wednesday, July 6 at 7:30pm: Faculty recital, Hatch Recital Hall
- Thursday, July 7 at 9:00am: Final Round of the Performance Competition, Hatch Recital Hall
- Friday, July 8 at 8:00pm: Performance of Michael Gordon’s Rushes
- Saturday, July 9 at 7:30pm: Participants and competition winners recital, Hatch Recital Hall
Midwest Musical Imports will exhibit bassoons, accessories, reeds and cane, tools and machines for sale and trial for the duration of the workshop.
Tuition for the four-day workshop, including all activities and concerts is $550. Registration and more information will be available at the Summer at Eastman website after December 1, 2015.